Tuesday, November 13, 2018

"The World Is Full of Bad Fansubs"

After almost every Orphan release, the nyaa comments section includes a couple of heartfelt pleas for Orphan to tackle other anime. Usually, these are untranslated shows or movies, but sometimes, they are works where the existing fansubs are deficient. I have already described how Orphan chooses projects. In this blog article, I want to explain why Orphan does not take requests to redo shows with existing fansubs.

Now, Orphan has occasionally resubbed shows with existing fansubs; examples include Nagasarete Airantou, Scoopers, Cosprayers, and Smash Hit. In all cases, the impetus for the project came from within the group. The reasons varied. One was the availability of new, improved source material. That justified a new version, and cleaning up the translation was just part of the process. Another was my personal desire for decent subs on a show I liked.

However, I've had to rein in my desire to fix bad subs. The simple reason is that there are too many of them, and life is too short. Unless the subs go with a title I really like and are the only version available, I have no reason to start a project to improve the subtitle quality. It's a better use of my time, and the group's time, to work on shows that have never been available in English. The existing subs may be awful, but at least an English version is available.

In the list of shows Orphan is working on or even considering, there are only two potential resubs of existing fansubs:
  • Oshare Kozou wa Hanamaru (a Margaret OVA). I'd like to finish the Margaret OVA set, and the existing version is a 240p VHS rip.
  • Kashou no Tsuki. This OVA poses intriguing challenges to both a translator and an editor, because the main characters are androgynous. Thus, the choice and use of pronouns is very tricky.
So Orphan fans, I do see and understand your heartfelt pleas, but they will go unanswered. The backlog of untranslated shows is quite large, and another large shipment of unique laserdiscs will soon be leaving Japan for processing in the US. You will have to live with the subs you have... or fix them yourself. Gomen.

2 comments: