Friday, February 21, 2020

Petit Gargantia (Blu-ray)

Another sterling example of why it's dangerous not to finish a project I was invited to work on.

One of FFF's last projects was a Blu-ray version of the Suisei no Gargantia series, using UTW-Vivid's subtitles. FFF released all the TV episodes, but the specials, the Petit Gargantia shorts, were left unfinished. I was tasked with QCing and cleaning up the shorts, which had been "blown up" from UTW-Vivid's 360p scripts. This involved adapting the typesetting to the larger canvas and dealing with the different color palette in the Blu-rays: no biggie.

However, the Blu-rays included an extra short, Petit Gargantia 14. It had been translated but not typeset. Because it had a lot of signs, no one was interested in typesetting it. FFF was shutting down, and the original typesetter from UTW had moved on. So it languished for two years. Finally, I got fed up and decided to typeset it myself. It's done, and I'm releasing the Petit Gargantia shorts under the FFF label. I thought seriously about releasing number 14 as Orphan, because the typesetting is frankly substandard for FFF, but I feel that FFF did the bulk of the work on the episode, in particular, encoding and translating, plus all the signs I managed to steal from the first thirteen episodes. And I'm a member of FFF... at least until now.


Petit Gargantia is a series of deadpan dialogs among chibi versions of Chamber, Ensign Ledo, Amy, Ridget, and the other girls in Ledo's orbit. It comments peripherally on the main series until the last episode, which is an excuse to think about Gargantia-based parodies of other famous series and to skirt the edges of copyright laws. It's all silly, and you can watch all 14 episodes in under half an hour.

The specials have been included in other Blu-ray releases of the main series, but the PGS subtitles in those rips don't do Petit Gargantia justice. Enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the goodies, mate. While I'm not an avid supporter, can I ask if you can do the final 10 episodes of Virtua Fighter? Seems fit to a classic title that has been left out to rot.

    ReplyDelete