Monday, September 21, 2020

Mea Maximum Culpa (Exper Zenon v2)

What, another v2? Yup... and for a problem that's happened before: timecodes. Several of the raws Orphan has used have had timecode problems. For example, a discrepancy between Aegisub and MPC-HC throws off some 29.97 fps raws. Some H.265 raws that we've used have "mid-frame" timecodes that get interpreted one way by Aegisub and another by MPC-HC. There have been other issues too. Typically, a timecode problem throws the signs and the dialog off by one (or more) frames. The solution in all cases is simple: generate timecodes in Aegisub and mux them into the final release in place of the original timecodes.

The problem usually surfaces during QC or RC, when a muxed version is reviewed. That happened with Amon Saga and others. But sometimes, the problem is not noticed until the release is public. That's what happened with the Orphan-PPP joint project, Exper Zenon. So here, alas, is v2.

Because the fix is a timecode swap, the problem is easily patched. You can get the patch here. For reference, I'm posting a new torrent and updating the file on Orphan|Arutha for downloading.

Again, I'm sorry for the inconvenience. And I'll be checking timecodes for every release from now on.

3 comments:

  1. thanks for the v2 but if my hugh school latin doesn't fail me it should be "mea maxima culpa";), unless that's the joke...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tghanks very much for the patch and explanation. After I apply it, Will it still seed in Baka? Or should I just do a new download with the patch in it.
    Thanks Patjantess

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you consider MPV compatibility with your releases? I know many subgroups and people that still view anime on their own players have switched to it, as have I, but I don't know if it avoids those issues and therefore isn't mentioned, or if MPC-HC is still your preferred player and you're therefore prioritizing it. Just curious!

    ReplyDelete